- 3 whole crabs
- 275 g (10 oz) mashed potato
- 1.5 Tbsp mayo
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garlic powder to taste
- Panko bread crumbs
3 crabs will give you a total weight of 5lb. Clean, cook and extract the crab meat as per instructions below. This will yield approx. 550g (1.25 lbs) crabmeat. Lightly mix the crab meat with the mashed potato and mayo, and season with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.
Next, form the mixture into cakes, rolling them into circular patties approx. 3 inches across and 1 inch thick. Roll the formed cakes in Panko bread crumbs to coat. Lightly pan fry on medium heat in a well-oiled pan until crisp and golden on both sides and heated through. Delicious with chipotle mayo on the side!
How To Cook Your Crab
- In a large pot, boil enough water to steam, but not fully immerse the crab.
- When the water has started to boil, place the crab in the point with the exposed meat outside of the water, place a lid over the pot.
- If a steam-cleaned crab, leave the crab in for 7 minutes. For a whole crab, wait 12 minutes.
- Remove the crab and rinse under cold water to halt the cooking process.
- If not eating immediately, wait for the crab to cool, then shuck the crab in order to take out the crab meat for use in your recipe.